The Heart of the Cariboo-Chilcotin anthology celebrates this beautiful and remote region of British Columbia. From the days of the gold rush through to modern times, the stories in this collection capture the spirit of a place whose beauty and wildness have inspired its people throughout its history. Legendary tales include:
- a husband's promise to his dying wife that he will not let her body languish in what to her is an alien, inhospitable land
- how the theft of a nugget pin in Barkerville led to a murderer's capture
- the ill-conceived plan to use camels on the Cariboo Road
- First Nations traditions and skills handed down through generations
- the wild and woolly early years of the Cariboo stampedes
- a sasquatch-sized bear that inadvertently became a cash cow for one hunting guide
These accounts of Cariboo-Chilcotin life are as diverse as they are fascinating: some nostalgic, some deeply moving, and some that will tickle the funny bone in a most agreeable way.